Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sunday in Hong Kong

Sorry, been a bad blogger. I will try to catch up.

We started Sunday morning with breakfast and then headed out to walk along the harbor at what is called the Avenue of the Stars. It is Hong Kong's version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame (I think that is what it is called). We only recognized a few of the names.

It was already extremely hot and it was only 8:30 in the morning. It is so tropical here. Around 11:00 we checked out of our hotel and started our adventure to get to the train station. We could have paid the extra money and hired a taxi to take us, but we decided to use the subway system. There was a entrance to the subway right outside our hotel room so we took the elevator down and started pulling our two big suitcases to the station to catch the purple line to ride to the next station which is where we would get on our Hong Kong to Guangzhou train. Little did I realize how far we were going to be pulling the suitcases. We overpacked a little so we have 4 huge suitcases. Two of the suitcases have wheels that don't really work very well. We walked and walked and my hand and arms felt like they were going to fall off. We finally made it to the Hung Hom station and waited to meet up with our travel mates. We are arranged to meet at McDonalds at 11:45. We got to the station at 11:30 and waited by the bottom of the escalators that went up to the McDonalds. All of a sudden Emily came down the steps to meet us. They were early too. She brought her two boys down to help us with our luggage. We took the suitcases up the escalator (the way everyone here does) and then had lunch with them. The husbands went and purchased our train tickets so that we could all sit together on the 1:00 train to Guangzhou.

When we arrived at the train station we went to the desk of our hotel and they loaded us in a van to take us to the Garden Hotel. It is an extremely nice hotel where a lot of adoptive families now stay in Guangzhou. All American families end their stay in Guangzhou because they have to visit the American consulate here to get a Visa for their child.

When we got to our hotel room we were shocked at how nice it was since we are only paying $125 a night and that includes two breakfasts. It would easily be a $250-350 a night hotel in the US in a big city. We explored a little and ate at a pizza place called Oggi's. It was pretty good. We then fell asleep knowing that Bailee would be in our arms the next day.



No comments: